In 1866 St Paul's National School opened in Reading Road, Wokingham (opposite the Wokingham Unitary Authority offices). The school was built in response to the public outcry, which followed the publication of The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley, Rector of Eversley. The book brought to light the living conditions of poor children in the area and prompted social change.
John Walter M.P., of Bearwood, a local benefactor and owner of The Times newspaper contributed a substantial sum of money towards the establishment of the school. The original St Paul's school housed both the Infant and Junior departments but as Wokingham grew and the original building aged, it was decided to split the sites.
A new Junior School, the present St Paul's Junior School was transferred to its Oxford Road site in 1967. The old building was renamed The Walter County Infant School and housed the infant department. In the early 1970s it was decided that a new Infant School was required and building began on a site adjacent to the St Paul's Junior School.
In 1975, Walter County Infant School transferred from Reading Road to its present site in Murray Road. In September 1997 a Nursery Class for 4 year olds was opened and the school changed its name to Walter Infant School and Nursery.
Walter Infant And Nursery School is now a community school for a very diverse population where we value and celebrate difference. Our school has changed so much over the years and we are all so proud of its history of almost 50 years.